Orang Asli Women and the Forest: The Impact of Resource Depletion on Gender Relations among the Semai
Authors: Colin Nicholas, Tijah Yok Chopil, Tiah Sabak
Publisher: Center For Orang Asli Concerns
The deteriorating resource base of the Orang Asli causes changes in the traditional environment. This in turn leads to changes in the cultural, political and social roles of Orang Asli women and men.
- How did traditional indigenous social systems treat Orang Asli women?
- What is the impact of changes in the availability of forest resources on gender relations?
- How does modern economic development affect Orang Asli women?
- Do indigenous women have specific gender demands? How are they to achieve them?
- The Orang Asli
- Developing the Orang Asli
- Research on Orang Asli Gender Relations
- Research Design
- The Settlements
- Some Semai Concepts
- Semai Relations with the Environment
- Gender Relations in Early Semai Society
- Gender Relations in a Changing Society
- Consequences of a Depleting Resource Base
- Impact on Gender Relations
- Time to Wake Up